Welcome to Adventures in Mama-Land

I set up this blog to share ideas and experiences in Mama-Land with my other mama friends.

My parenting philosophy is that children need to be active participants in their learning - involving all 5 senses as much as possible, and that toys and learning experiences need to be kid-powered (as opposed to passively watching something play in front of them or on a screen).

With my 18-month old son (Wee Man), and a friend's 20-month old daughter (Little A) joining us during the week, I am enjoying being a kid again and experiencing all the little joys in life. Welcome to my corner of Mama-Land!

Tuesday 21 February 2012

A New Role

So the time has come for me to go back to work.....the bills are piling up and after being out of the working world for about 20 months, I'm starting to feel nervous about what might happen if I continue with the big break in my resume when I do wish to go back one day, so this past weekend I was out pounding the pavement with resumes (again - I did it after Christmas too, to no avail) looking for something to add a bit more income to our household.

Thankfully today I got a call back from a former employer who offered me a part-time position in their store! I'm thrilled, but also super nervous about being out of the home for long periods of time again. haha. Isn't that always the case?! This weekend I am scheduled in for one 3-hour and one 8-hour shift to begin training.

For those that are curious, the store I will be working in is a locally-owned baby supply store - meaning it will be my responsibility to sell things like strollers, car seats, cribs and nursery furniture, feeding systems (bottles and the like), cloth diapers, and other things new parents need - or want - for the new little ones in their lives. How perfect is this going to be?! I LOVE this category!

Having worked at this same store helped me in a huge way when it came time to start thinking about and looking for things we wanted, and needed, for Wee Man when we found out we were expecting. I think that it'll be fun and stimulating to be back in that realm again, and this time around I have some first-hand experience of what worked (and didn't) for us, which can only prove to help make me more successful in this new role!

It'll be interesting to see how me working outside of the home is going to impact Wee Man, but I think that it can only be a good thing in the long run. He is very attached to me, and I know that I will be going back to daytime work in the Fall - although I'm still thinking part-time may be all I will do until he's of school-age himself - so these evening and weekend shifts are going to be a gradual help to him adjusting away from having Mama around all the time.

I am a little nervous about what having a full-time day job (watching Little A and Wee Man) and then going to work in the evenings and weekends will do to me. I know in the past I managed full-time studies and both full and part time jobs, however at the time I didn't have many responsibilities at home ~ a boyfriend and a cat just didn't have the same responsibilities that being a parent does. I'm determined to go in with a positive attitude knowing that I am doing the best thing for my family right now and to have fun selling things that I have a passion for!

I think the biggest impact is going to be on my husband, as he will be doing the single-Daddy role in the evenings (when Wee Man is his most challenging) and after a long day of work himself. I'm only hoping that the increase in income in our home will help to reduce some of the stress we've been experiencing lately and help us to enjoy the time we do have together as a family even more.

I'm sure I'll post about the changes in our lives as we go through this next phase, but for the meantime wish me luck......I might just need it! ;-p

No comments:

Post a Comment