Welcome to Adventures in Mama-Land

I set up this blog to share ideas and experiences in Mama-Land with my other mama friends.

My parenting philosophy is that children need to be active participants in their learning - involving all 5 senses as much as possible, and that toys and learning experiences need to be kid-powered (as opposed to passively watching something play in front of them or on a screen).

With my 18-month old son (Wee Man), and a friend's 20-month old daughter (Little A) joining us during the week, I am enjoying being a kid again and experiencing all the little joys in life. Welcome to my corner of Mama-Land!

Thursday 12 January 2012

An online journal?

I used to keep a journal - something to scribble down my thoughts throughout or at the end of the day. I started as a child and periodically went back to doing one from time to time as a teenager and then again as an adult. I found it refreshing (when I actually used it!) and a way to jot down ideas to reflect on and go back to at a later time. What I hated was the amount of space they would take up, and the fact that I never really did go back to them. In our last move I think I chucked almost all of them - keeping a couple from different trips for sentimental reasons. Again, they're just tucked away in a box in a closet....

I've been tossing around the idea of a blog for several months now, thinking that I should be keeping some of these cute sayings and things that wee man comes up with jotted down somewhere because I know I won't remember them 10 years from now! And then yesterday - after a posting on my facebook page resulted in a comment from a good friend suggesting I should start a blog to share some of my ideas (this one was about my excitement surrounding research on sensory bins) - I thought that perhaps it was time. I want to remember these years. And what a better way to do so than by potentially interacting with other mamas at the same time!

So this blog is set up for that purpose: to share ideas, good resources, thoughts, frustrations, and other adventures as I navigate my way through Mama-Land and life in general. Mostly though, it's just a way to get back into writing again. To use part of my brain that seems to have long been forgotten --- to share things I've found interesting or exciting with some of my mama-friends, and jot them down for myself for later.

If you know me, and you're following this blog - thanks for being a part of my journey, friend! If you stumbled upon this blog randomly - welcome - I hope it provides you with a momentary distraction, and maybe some resources or ideas as well as you take your own journey! I hope each of you will take the time to comment and share ideas and resources you've found particularly helpful (or not). I find that Mama-Land can be an extremely isolating place if we don't reach out to one another...

...happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment