Welcome to Adventures in Mama-Land

I set up this blog to share ideas and experiences in Mama-Land with my other mama friends.

My parenting philosophy is that children need to be active participants in their learning - involving all 5 senses as much as possible, and that toys and learning experiences need to be kid-powered (as opposed to passively watching something play in front of them or on a screen).

With my 18-month old son (Wee Man), and a friend's 20-month old daughter (Little A) joining us during the week, I am enjoying being a kid again and experiencing all the little joys in life. Welcome to my corner of Mama-Land!

Saturday 14 January 2012

Sensory Bins

I've heard a lot about sensory bins and was looking for something fun to do with the kids during those cold winter days when we're all sick and tired of the toys, being cooped up in this small condo, and looking for something new to do. Is it bad to wish the kids were a couple years older so I'd have more ideas on what to do with them on an hour to hour basis!?! The teacher in me wants to be working on colours, numbers, ABCs and all that sort of stuff, but what we need to focus on right now is much more fundamental....so this is where I thought I might be able to create some teachable moments, build on vocabulary - and overall have some FUN with sensory bins.

A good friend of mine recently posted a picture on her facebook page of her little one playing with coloured ice cubes....I thought it was an awesome idea - and so that will be my first sensory bin, I think. And then yesterday I decided to do a Google search on the topic and came up with so many awesome ideas that I'm not sure I'm going to be able to contain myself when putting these together! :-)

The teacher in me starting thinking in terms of themes and how to expand on the learning experience --- I could do crafts, stories, baking, and other activities throughout the month that would build on the vocabulary started with the sensory bin and further explore the "theme". When holidays occur around that time I'll make that the 'theme', but more often than not they'll just based on something I think will be fun, engaging and a great experience for the kids.  The following is a list of some of my ideas. Most will be solidified after a trip through our craft supplies, toy stash and the Dollar Store....but I plan on posting the final result (with pictures) each time I make them:

  •  Winter Theme:
    • Sensory Bin: coloured ice-cubes of various sizes & shapes - some with things in them (lego pieces, little figures, pine cones, and other 'winter themed' things from nature, etc.)
    • Craft: Painting with "snowballs" - using cotton balls as our paintbrush. We may even use some to make snowmen on the page and then decorate them with paper hats, scarves, gloves, and boots to work on winter clothing vocabulary.
  • Sounds Theme:
    • Sensory Bin: plastic containers with different contents (rice, beans, dried pasta, etc.), instruments, etc.
    • Craft: Shake & Paint - line an empty yogurt container with paper. Dip broken crayons into different colours of paint and then close the container. Make some "music" by shaking the containers and when finished take the paper out - a work of art!
  • Valentine's Day Theme:
    • Sensory Bin: Different materials of red, white & pink colours (felt, lace, paper, material scraps, etc.); heart shapes
    • Craft: Valentine's Cards?  --- not sure, any ideas would be awesome. I think I might incorporate some of the materials from the bin into cards...we'll see!
    • Baking - we'll be making heart-shaped sugar cookies and decorating them
  • Eewey-Gooey Theme:
    • Sensory Bin: Jello! - with different things molded inside. Not sure what, but we'll peek through the Dollar Store and the toy stash here and find something fun! It'll also include spoons and cups; things to dig the stuff out!
    • Craft: Glue paintings - with white glue we'll make shapes and designs on paper and then we'll take containers filled with different coloured & shaped confetti and glitter and make works of art!
  • Easter Theme:
    • Sensory Bin: Egg-shaped rattlers (rice, pasta, beans, bells, etc.), Easter grass, bunnies, ducks and other Easter-themed materials.
    • Craft: Thinking of dyeing eggs, but we'll see! ;-)
    • Baking - we'll make & decorate cookies or cupcakes
  • Sense of Touch Theme:
    • Sensory Bin: Different textures (sponges, sandpaper, cotton balls, velvet, satin ribbons, etc.)
    • Craft: Texture drawings - I'll layer paper over different materials (stencils, sandpaper, material scraps, etc.) and we'll do crayon rubbings to explore the designs textures make.
  • Garden Theme:
    • Sensory Bin: a bucket full of dirt, "seeds" (I'm thinking something big like dried Lima beans), gardening gloves, shovels, cups, plastic veggies -- this will be an outside activity in the spring!
    • Craft: Not sure yet....ideas?!
Other ideas I found and will use:
    • "Sand" Box - 8 cups of flour and 1 cup of baby oil combined together is supposed to make really cool mold able "sand" that feels like regular flour when you run your hand through it. This will make a really cool cold/rainy-day activity!
    • Water sensory bags - coloured and clear water inside of large-sized freezer bags. You can add foam pieces and other things for the kids to move around in the water! I might also try this with vanilla pudding, food colouring and little treats - like Smarties, raisins, chocolate chips, etc. After we're done playing we can have a snack!
    • Window Clings / Sun-catchers - Tape a sticky contact sheet on a window and the kids can use pieces of paper, coloured match-sticks, etc to create pictures - sticky side out towards them so their materials stick when placed on. I saw ideas about sun-catchers using a similar idea as well....seal them up when done (fold in half?!), poke a hole in the top and add a string to hang. Voila! A sun-catcher! Since our windows are all about 4 feet from the ground, we may just do these on the table....or move outside on a nice day and make them from the outside where windows will be at just the right level for them!
I'm wondering - if anyone is reading this! - if you've tried sensory bins, what your little ones like, and whether you have any suggestions or resources for someone starting out with this concept?! My little ones are currently 17 and 19 months in age....so I'm trying to keep contents safe (ie: not too small so as to be easily swallowed), but I'm not afraid of a little mess! ;-)

1 comment:

  1. Interesting ideas, Mandy. You might want to look into some of the Montessori ideas and activities. I researched it a few years ago and found all kinds of neat ideas.

    Juanita

    ReplyDelete